Monday, January 16, 2012

On technology and the Tooth Fairy

My kids wholeheartedly believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.  I actually go to great lengths to perpetuate this belief because I think this is one of the most enjoyable things about being a child.  Last year, they got a personal video message from Santa.  There were also email exchanges and handwritten notes from the Tooth Fairy.

Sadly, the advent of technology also translates into more smartass sophisticated kids who question everything.  Case in point, Joshua had a friend over for a play date a couple of days before Christmas.  He very excitedly asked me to show the video from Santa to his friend and so I did.  Imagine my dismay when while the video was showing, said friend told my son in a deadpan voice -- "you do realize that people make this up, don't you?".

To his credit, Joshua stood up to his friend and said no, it's real.  Gulp.  To end the magic for Joshua would mean ending it for Faith and little Lucia too!

So my son is a little bit naive for a 9 year old.  He doesn't get to surf the net (only for homework and he is supervised).  He plays computer games but with limits on time and what kind to play.  He doesn't have a PSP or a WII or whatever techy gadget kids are into these days.  Most of the grown ups in the family own an iPhone and/or iPad which the kids can borrow for limited periods.  But that's it.  I suppose, compared to his friends in school, Joshua is still a little bit sheltered.  And I like it that way.

I don't know how long I can keep this up but I'm hoping for a few more years.  I've already told Joshua that I think Santa stops giving presents to kids when they reach the age of 13.  I still don't know how I'm gonna go about it but there's still time.  Meanwhile, I'm already bracing myself for a slew of visits from the Tooth Fairy this year.  

2 comments:

Pacha said...

Hello Menchie!!!

Happy new year sweetie!

My 11 year year old still believes in Father Christmas and the tooth fairy although I get in all sorts of trouble trying to answer his more technical/pratical questions about how the whole thing works.

In truth part of me thinks deep down he pretends to believe in them for my sake. Because he knows it's important to us. He's a smart kid and veeeery logical. How can he believe? Because he wants to!

We too have NO technological games in the house (much to my youngest dismay - he tries to get invites from friends of his that do have Wii etc... all the time. BEGS to go to their houses...and not to play with them! Cheeky so-and-so!)

I think being able to believe in Santa Claus and no technological stuff are linked.

My 11 year old still knows how to PLAY!

...and read. Because my 11 year old does a lot of that too! A lot. Don't know where he gets it from ;-)

Hope you're good. We are all fine. Stupid busy and deep into winter but fine!

All my love, Pacha

Menchie said...

Pacha,

Sooo good to hear from you!!! I've sent you an email!!