Thursday, October 05, 2006

Quick Update

It feels good to write again after an almost two week hiatus. I mentioned that I was going on a week long vacation and was so ready with my list of things to do. But you know what they say about the best laid plans.

My maternal grandmother passed away last September 24 (Sunday). We had just spent the weekend at our house in Tagaytay and were coming home from lunch with my in-laws when my mother called with the sad news. My lola had lived with us ever since my lolo passed away more than 10 years ago. It was a good move for her in a lot of ways. It allowed her to be close to where all her children lived and also afforded her the companionship of her sister, who’s lived with us since I was a baby. We were able to get to know our lola better – since we never got to spend extended time with her except for summer or weekend visits to the province.

So it was a really sad time for the family. My Lola Mary will be sorely missed – even my kids know she’s gone.

Day after the funeral the typhoon hit and we lost power for three days. Everything was at a standstill. We had no power, no water and then Faith got sick. Imagine trying to sleep during a power outage, the occasional rain not giving enough relief from the heat with a feverish toddler tossing and turning and dripping with sweat that I felt so sorry for her. I think my upper arms got toned from all the paypay I did during those three days.

I’m back at work this week at my new job. The past week was very stressful and I’m looking forward to the next couple of days hopefully with nothing majorly stressful. We’ll miss our Lola forever but the power’s back on, Faith’s recovering, I’ve got an exciting new job so there’s no way to go but up from here and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know you were pretty close to her. We'll be praying for the eternal repose of her soul.